Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: A Country Chic Tunic

As I've mentioned before, I am a mom on a budget . . . so I just love 69 cent Saturdays at our local thrift store. I go in and buy whatever I think might be able to be turned into something new again! I love trying to see the good in things. So when I saw this too tiny tunic for 69 cents I snatched it up.


It was way too tight and a kind of boring but I loved the red print and let's face it, a button up top can be a nursing mom's best friend! So out came the seam ripper and away went the sleeves because it's hot out and I need clothes to wear right now. I also picked out the darts on the back and cut some slits where they existed because I had to make this bad boy fit.


I ran my new raw edges through the serger to keep things easier to work with.


Then my new armholes got hemmed.


My top then got put back on the dress form so that I could pin my slits into position to figure how much fabric I would need to add to my top to loosen it up.


These new slits definitely loosened up the shirt but also left it sitting a little funny on the form. So I added some darts that ran perpendicular to the new slits. 


I then had to find a fabric to dress this shirt up with and I had just the thing. A thrifted lace valance proved to be just what I needed to add a pop of wow to this tunic. 


Seriously, doesn't it just add a rustic romance to this shirt?


I loved the pop of lace so much that I decided to add a bit of it to the armholes as well. 


Finally I had to remove part of the darts in the front of the shirt. Why, you might ask? Because my child bearing hips needed room to breath! So once again I picked away with the seam ripper but this time only up to the waist. A quick stitch with the sewing machine ensured that the rest of the darts did not come unraveled with wear and tear. 


And with that, I had a new old top that is perfect for summer and nursing! 


I just love finding the good in things!



Until next time . . . happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment