I like to sit and wonder about all the items that they may have sewn in their previous lives. I also love that they use my own movement to sew . . . makes my finished items feel even more handmade. The greatest bonus is that you can buy these machines for a fraction of the cost of a new machine and it will last far beyond your living years! Needless to say, I am addicted to my vintage machines.
So my project from last week should come as no surprise. I found a vanity stool at the Goodwill months ago for $3.99 that looked like it would be the perfect height for at my treadle machine. Sure enough, I was right and I have sat comfortably in it, month after month, for 3-4 months now. I finally took a long enough break from sewing to refinish the stool to fit in better with my decor.
First things first, I removed the seat and dragged the stool outside for some primer and black matte spray paint so that the legs of the stool would match the legs of the treadle table.
Then I removed the faux leather fabric from the seat and re-upholstered it using one of my favorite cotton prints from Robert Kaufman's Vintage Couturier line. To protect it I added a top upholstery layer of some lightweight vinyl (I have a toddler in my house and I refuse to be devastated by chocolate stains)!
And I was left with the perfect sewing seat!
I also began a project for myself this week. I read somewhere that a quilter would create a quilt for herself every year for her birthday and I thought to myself, what a great idea! I spend nearly 365 days a year crafting and quilting for others, it is time to create for myself. My birthday is just around the corner so I decided that I would give myself the gift of a warm quilt for this winter. I began by picking the fabric combination this past weekend.
I also cut all my pieces over the weekend. I had just enough fabric, except for the solid purple (I am anxiously waiting for more to arrive). I am using a free pattern I found from Timeless Treasures called Eden.
Over the last 3 days I was able to start piecing, I got through 6 of the large squares and some strip piecing to create 3 inch diamonds.
Last night I finished cutting out the last of 120 diamonds from my strip pieces.
I cannot wait to see how this quilt turns out! I am thinking I may have to name this quilt, "Vintage Addiction"!
It is about time to begin Halloween costumes too, so this next week will be a little more work on the quilt and a lot more work on costumes!