Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Playing with Hand Embroidery

I spent the last week battling a cold on the couch. Five of those seven days was spent with unbelievable sinus pain. Needless to say, it has not been the most productive of weeks in my household. It is going to take a few days just to clean up the mess my toddler enjoyed making while mommy was sick on the couch. However, I did have a few points here and there through out the week where my head would allow me moments of clarity. And so, at those points, I decided to play with hand embroidery.

The first thing I decided to do was continue practicing applique as I created a little needle book to hold all my hand sewing needles. I had seen a great needle book tutorial over at Nana Company. And so I followed along and had some fun with it.


Of course, I used some of my leftover fabrics from the baby's quilt so that I would forever have a piece of it for myself. I definitely still need some practice but I am having fun with the embroidery.


After finishing the needle book I decided to start working on some accessories for the baby. I started with a little something that I knew her daddy would love . . . a headband for her to wear during Blackhawk hockey games. I took some felt and decided to use some hand embroidery to create a feather head piece that could be attached to a headband. 


I was really pleased with how it came together. After all the hard work that it took, I decided to make it interchangeable. I would love if she could wear it on a hat, a headband, etc. So I attached some velcro to the back of the feathers. 


A little velcro sewn onto a headband and now we have the perfect headband, and possibly the perfect hat too! I absolutely love how it turned out. 


I have a feeling I will be doing a lot more hand sewing over the next few months as it is getting more uncomfortable to sit at the sewing machine for long intervals. I hope to have more to share next week!

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are feeling better now. It's tough to be sick when you are pregnant, and also when you have a little one at home. Cute Blackhawks emblem.

    ReplyDelete