Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Escape From the Cold

Cold air has crept into our area this week . . . the kind of cold air that makes you want to stay inside in a cozy sweater while sipping hot cocoa and stitching up some colorful goodies. And while I did have to run errands the last few days, I spent the time I was home in a cozy sweater stitching at the machine. And what better to stitch on a bitterly cold day then a bright and colorful beach wall hanging. 


I found the instructions for this beautiful wall hanging in the book, Skinny Quilts and Table Runners by Eleanor Levie. The quilt pattern is called, "By the Sea" and was created by Karen Eckmeier. I couldn't wait to tackle a landscape quilt that would take me out of my comfort zone. Picking the fabrics is always my favorite part of a project and was especially fun for this one as I got to go buy some beautiful batiks. I hope to work with more again soon but I need to find more first!


Look at all those beautiful blues! Laying the project out was also a lot of fun. It was great to have a pattern that was more of a guideline and let you just go with the flow. 


Once everything was sewn in place I added some quilting and then got to have some fun experimenting as I added details. I wasn't too pleased with my sky fabric so I added some tulle in bunches to create clouds. 



I also used the designer's idea of creating seagulls out of cut lace. 


The sand was fun to add detail to as well. I had never thought to sew things within tulle until seeing the author's idea for adding the sea shells. I also had so much fun adding hand stitched beads and rhinestones as rocks along the shore line. 



I absolutely loved making this quilt. It was so fun to stitch and I enjoyed trying so many new techniques. And the book itself had a bunch of really great quilt patterns in it so I may have to try some more in the future. But for now, my husband has requested a second one of these wall hangings as this one was made as a thank you for my grandfather who made my beautiful sewing table for me. 



Can you believe how beautiful that work space is?! I will cherish this table forever and ever. I am so happy I was able to sit at it and create something to send to my grandfather to show my appreciation! 



Well, I guess I am off to sew a second one of these! Until next time . . . happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. What a great table your grandfather made! Cool quilt, too. Out of my comfort zone, at least at this time. I like the lace you added, that looks like foam on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you taking custome orders ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your interest in my creations but unfortunately I am not taking any orders at this point in time.

      Delete