Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Creating Dolls from our Daydreams

Oh my! Where did August go?! I swear I have been sewing, only the sewing has been done in such small doses that it seems like it is taking forever for to finish projects. I am in progress on 2 bed quilts and still greatly enjoying working on items for the hospital. I also tried to work on a few dolls for ourselves this past month too.
I got through 2 more batches of charity dolls. I cannot stress enough how wonderful the Cuties for a Cure pattern is from Dolls and Daydreams. I cannot wait to deliver my first box of dollies to the hospital.

I have been trying to complete a doll for charity between working on each personal project.


I have almost filled a box with the dolls. I really cannot stress how excited I am to deliver that first box.


A few weeks ago my son was watching the show, "Sarah and Duck" on Sprout and turned and asked me to make Sarah. I absolutely love that he can request things from me now and I love watching his face light up when I make it happen. So I immediately got to work. 

That night I went back to the Dolls and Daydreams website and found a doll (the Wendy Poppet) that had a nice round face like Sarah from the show. I swear, I am not affiliated with the pattern store and I do not get paid to write about it . . . I am just a woman obsessed with these adorable and easy to follow patterns. 


My son absolutely loves her . . . he didn't even wait for me to finish her shoes before swooping her and running off with her. He has slept with her every night since. He had me create Duck too but, as happy as he is with the duck I designed, I see too many flaws and am too embarrassed to share it. Haha.
I also started working on a doll for myself finally. I absolutely love old movies and one of my favorite actresses was Marilyn Monroe. So I knew I had to create a little Marilyn to keep at my sewing table. I, of course, used another Dolls and Daydreams pattern, the Tiny Tot. Again, I swear to you I am not affiliated . . . just obsessed! I traced the pattern head and then designed a completely different face and hair to make my Marilyn come to life. 

I also switched her body up a bit to create her white dress from "The Seven Year Itch". It was so fun to finally make something for myself!


I am hoping to finish up one of the bed quilts this weekend! The other one is a great frustration to me right now and ended up angrily balled up and thrown into a corner in my bedroom. I have put in way too much time on it (4 months and counting) but at the moment I daydream of tearing it to shreds with my fabric shears! Perhaps next week I will try to calmly tackle it again.

Until next time . . . happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are getting some fun stuff done. That is important. What's the problem with the 2nd quilt? Can I help any?

    ReplyDelete