I figured I would share my process in case anyone else wanted to use their scraps in a similar fashion. I began, of course, with a few scraps. I decided to stick with 3 strips to keep all uniform but I varied the width of my strips between each burp cloth. I cut my strips to be just as wide as the burp cloths.
I pieced all three together and pressed.
Then I laid a store bought burp cloth (or diaper cloth as I believe they are labelled) out upside down on my ironing board.
I stitched my quilted fabric with the right side facing the back of the burp cloth and the bottom edge along the bottom edge of the burp cloth.
I then pressed the top edge of the quilted piece down by a 1/2 inch.
Then I pressed the quilt piece down onto the burp cloth with the wrong side of the quilted piece against the right side of the burp cloth.
At this point I folded the edges of the quilted piece under and pressed so that they were even with the edges of the burp cloth.
Then I topstitched around all the edges.
To keep with the quilted look, I stitched in the ditch of my quilted panel. Though this would be equally cute with some free motion quilting.
Finally, I wanted my burp cloth to appear completely uniform so I flipped it over and followed the stitching lines that run vertically across the back over my quilted areas.
Which left me with this finished burp cloth!
Of course, I could not stop at one. I had to make a full set. But this was a wonderful way to create a coordinating gift set for the baby!
Off to start Christmas presents! Until next time . . . happy sewing!