I used a cheap costume satin for the skirt. I should note . . . I would never, ever again waste my money on costume satin. This stuff was horrendous to work with. It snagged like crazy and never really seemed to be on grain. I should have thrifted a little harder for a better fabric at the same price. But I went with it. I altered the pattern here again creating a shorter over-skirt and a warmer layer as an under-skirt. Then I gathered as normal and connected to the bodice.
I scalloped the top layer and then sewed it to the bottom layer. Once this was done I began free motion machine embroidering all along the scallops.
The turtle neck was created using a wonderful free pattern from Kuka and Bubu! I have to admit, I had never done anything with sleeves for my daughter but the pattern was a breeze. I used a fleece lined sweatshirt material for warmth and added some ribbon embellishment to mimic Anna's undershirt.
Finally I drafted a cape based off of the cape found in the Simplicity S0733 pattern. My daughter is only wearing 18 month clothes so I had to alter down from their size 3.
Instead of using the applique pattern I decided to use ric rac around the cape (for time and sanity's sake).
I think it turned out quite well and will keep my daughter very warm. But my son didn't just want the two of them to dress up. He wanted this to be a family affair so I also had to create a Kristoff and Elsa costume! Stay tuned for more . . .
Until next time . . . happy sewing!